Thursday, January 1, 2009

Project Gator Hater

This American IPA was brewed for the inaugural Beer Spot homebrew contest and brought home the win. The very unoriginal name I gave this batch was in "honor" of one of the other competitors, a "reasonably" good guy who goes by the username Kegergator.

I had a very difficult time rounding up enough hops to pull off this recipe. Thanks to the hops shortage, my LHBS limited the amount of hops "per recipe". Even though, I argued, my malt bill was large enough for two batches of beer.

The victory earned me bragging rights at TBS, some regional beers from the judges, and confimation from some certifiable beer nuts that I'm ok at this homebrewing thing. I've always liked my brews and received good feedback from friends and family, but it is cool to have a beer judged by folks in the know.

7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1.00 oz Cascade (60 min)
1.00 oz Cascade (45 min)
1.00 oz Cascade (30 min)
1.00 oz Cascade (15 min)
2.00 oz Cascade (2 min)
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold (Dry Hop 7 days)
Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332)

0 comments: